Set Up IMAP - Outlook® 2003
If you would like to learn more about the differences between POP and IMAP, please see the help topic, "POP vs. IMAP."
To set up Outlook 2003 for IMAP, perform the following steps:
- In Outlook, select Tools / E-mail Accounts, click the Add a new e-mail account radio button and then click the Next button.
- Select the IMAP radio button, Click the Next button and enter the following information:
- Your Name—Enter your first and last name. This is the name that will appear in the From field of messages you send.
- E-mail Address—Enter your entire email address (e.g., email@example.com).
- User Name—Enter your entire email address (e.g., firstname.lastname@example.org).
- Password—Enter the password for your email account.
- If you want Outlook to check for email without prompting you to enter your password, check the Remember password box.
- Incoming mail server (IMAP)—Enter the secure server name: secure.emailsrvr.com
- Outgoing mail server (SMTP)—Enter the secure server name: secure.emailsrvr.com
If your internal system configurations require non-SSL ports, please see the "Email Server Settings" page for our full list of available servers and ports.
- Click the More Settings button then click the Outgoing Server tab.
- Select the My outgoing server (SMTP) requires authentication check box. Leave the default setting, Use same settings as my incoming mail server.
- Click the Advanced tab and select the first This server requires a secure connection (SSL) check box.
- In the Incoming server (IMAP) box, enter the secure incoming port: 993
- Select the second This server requires a secure connection (SSL) check box.
- In the Outgoing server (SMTP) box, enter the secure outgoing port: 465.
- Click the OK button then click the Next button, and lastly click the Finish button.
Folders should sync automatically with an IMAP account; however, if you have added folders in Webmail and they are not showing in Outlook, perform the following steps:
- Select Tools / IMAP Folders and Click the Query button.
- Select the newly added folder(s), click the Subscribe button and click the OK button.
- Restart Outlook to update the folder list.